Thailand Launches Drone Project to Enhance Farming
BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society has announced the launch of an ambitious project that will deploy hundreds of agricultural drones across 500 local communities. The initiative, known as the 1 Tambon 1 Digital project, is a collaboration between the ministry and the Digital Economy Promotion Agency (DEPA).
According to Minister of Digital Economy and Society Prasert Jantararuangtong, the project is designed to increase efficiency and productivity among Thai farmers by providing them with advanced drone technology. The initiative aligns with the national plan for mobilizing the Thai digital economy and society, focusing on digital safety, security, and maximizing human capital.
To support the farmers, DEPA will subsidize 60% of the drone costs, while communities will contribute the remaining 40% through low-interest loans or village funds. In cases where communities cannot afford a loan, the agency will supply a vehicle, contingent on the high demand for drone usage in the area.
To ensure efficient use of these resources, communities must meet certain criteria, including training representatives in drone operation and obtaining a drone operator’s license from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand.
DEPA President Nuttapon Nimmanphatcharin said the agency has allocated about 200 million baht for drones, training, and a maintenance center. Within a year, they expect to establish 50 service centers nationwide, training 1,000 participants in drone operation and 100 in maintenance. The project aims to cover at least 4 million rai (1.58 million acres) of agricultural land and is projected to generate an economic value of at least 350 million baht in its first year.
Information and Source
Reporter : Krajangwit Johjit
Rewriter : Paphamon Arayasukawat
National News Bureau : http://thainews.prd.go.th