MAKKAH, 12 August 2019(NNT) - Yesterday, a fire broke out in the 10-story Dorat Al Ahbab Hotel in Makkah, Saudi Arabia. The hotel is located close to where Thai Hajj pilgrims are staying. Over 100 pilgrims, most from Lebanon, were evacuated. One individual suffered the effects of smoke inhalation. No Thais were reported injured. An electrical short circuit is thought to have been the cause of the fire.
When smoke was seen pouring from the 4th floor of the hotel, Saudi Arabian authorities immediately notified the disaster relief unit. It took only a few minutes for the firefighters and 8 ambulances to arrive at the hotel. Pilgrims staying in and around the hotel were quickly evacuated and the one smoke victim was rushed to hospital.
Thai pilgrims staying near the hotel provided water and help set up a temporary hall for the evacuated pilgrims.